Blogs > Lighten Up with Keith

40-year-old Keith Hockman has survived a rare brain illness, and now he's marching into battle with his weight. The Madison resident wants to show his children how to get control of your life and live healthier.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hanging in There

I know this is just the beginning, but it is the hardest part of this journey. The truth is, I haven't been eating healthy for a long time. I do know that you need to eat to fuel your body. One of the biggest mistakes that I have made throughout my life is to go overboard when trying to lose weight.
 
I sometimes try to to get results to fast by limiting my food intake to a bear minimum. I have learned through the years that the only thing that does is make the weight come back faster and with a vengeance.
 
It's impossible to eat like a bird for the rest of your life. It just isn't realistic. The key is to find the right balance between your food intake, and that dreaded word, exercise. The first week is always a struggle. I went from eating everything, to watching everything that I put in my mouth.
 
I guess you can say that my body is in shock. I know I can do this because I have lost a significant amount of weight in the past. I joined Weight Watchers about five years ago. I guess you can say that I took it to the extreme because I lost 85 pounds in about 5 and a half months.
 
I followed the program to the "T" and it worked great. I honestly think that I lost the weight too fast. Let's just say that when I stopped going, I stopped everything. The end results, I gained back all but 10 pounds. This time I intend to do it right, and keep it off.
 
OK, I have to throw this out there, The Super Bowl is Sunday. As you already know, I am a die-hard Steelers fan. Therefore, I will do my best to keep my composure when it comes to snacks, and maybe even a few drinks, but I can't promise anything.
 
The only thing I will do is promise to work out hard on Monday to make up for my culinary sins during the Super Bowl. Wish me luck. I am feeling much better and I intend to hit the treadmill first thing in the morning. Oh boy, reality is really setting in now.
 
Talk to you soon,
 
Keith
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home